Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 20 June 2020

Some Persian horse archers

OK, the cavalry mould is still proving a pain... but the horse archers are doing well. The first unit is now painted - and though I hadn't particularily intended more I might finish up basing more as cavalry for early armies... might even do a couple more as light cavalry units and designate them as Parthian...
I did a couple extra because I wanted to compare two different styles of tunic - the (earlier period) spotty version and the later one with the broad stripe down the centre of the tunic. However, a quick look at the Osprey 'The Persian Army 560-330BC' by Nick Sekunda and Simon Chew suggested plain tunics so... I left them plain!

So this is the horse archer with a plain tunic.

At this point it's perhaps worth doing a comparison. The two on the left are the original javelin/bow/shield armed figure. Next to that one with two javelins/short spears and the horse archer. These are the only figures that 'made the cut' onto production moulds though the double-armed javelin/bow figure is on a Tiranti mould.

Another view. A simple arm swap produces a very effective conversion!
 Whenever I do conversions of this type I keep thinking ' how much more could Greenwood and Ball have achieved with this range'. I've probably more than doubled the total number of Garrison 20mm Ancient figures with relatively little effort - don't know why Greenwood and Ball themselves didn't do some of these back in the 70s!

4 comments: