Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 27 June 2020

Starting sculpts for Sarangians, Caspians, Pactyans...

...Utians, Mycians and Paricanians...
Ititial attempts - don't think any of these particular ones will make the mould! The figure is based on the Gallic archer GA8 with all previous details filed off.

Slightly blurry! The cloaked figure does as a Sarangian, just with very short knee length boots... the uncloaked figure serves as everything else.
The intention is to do a unit of each of these as direct conversions as well as a couple of the best of each to go on a mould. Most of the figures have been cast but yet to have green stuff added. However, a Milyae unit is nearly fully painted - just needs spear tips, touched up and varnished - plus a Scythian unit undercoated.

Trouble is, getting close to the point where I have to try and do some East Ethiopians, with a headdress made from the scalp of a horse with mane and ears left on, plus a shield made from a crane skin...

4 comments:

  1. I was always fascinated by the Ethiopian figure in the old wrg book , really looking forward to seeing what you come up with. Your painted figure today is lovely and colourful, the spots on the clothes are terrific.
    By the way are you casting for sale at all these days? I was just wondering because I was tempted by your conversions and fancied a wee unit of five or six of each of these wonderfully exotic conversions. If you are not casting for sale my apologies for mentioning it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ethiopians were covered with my first Egyptian army conversions - for current, see https://easterngarrison.blogspot.com/2020/06/greek-war-ethiopians.html - though I paint them chocolate brown and have seriously thought about doing a unit painted black, purely to fit in with the overall view of the 'project'.
      As mentioned in a previous post, I'll be putting 'surplus' figures up from the Napoleonics - re these, not really good enough for sale though many conversions have been sold in the past... however, flattery works so let me know what you want!

      Delete
    2. Found your Ethiopian post, missed it in June. They are very effective indeed. Exotica for the table top. I guess what I was looking for was figures to make small units ( five or six figures on a 60mm x 40mm base) to use in gridded games to supplement my old school Greeks and Persians. Thus I could represent this grand army on the table top in a way which reminds me of figures from my teens bought over the counter in a model shop.

      Delete
  2. Think I might do a post outlining some of the conversions I've done. The basis for a Persian army would be the Sparabara units - checking back, I first did the robed Persian figures in 2014! This makes sense - I did them just after I closed Garrison so didn't assign codes to them. Anyway, simplest thing is to email me with a list of what you would be interested in and see what I can do.

    ReplyDelete