Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 29 September 2020

A few of my 'own' Graeco-Macedonian lights

Mostly from my original 1970-1975 period army...

Found most of them. Some paint loss, couple of broken javelins but generally useable.Add caption

Hypaspists from the days when they were LMI - and 3 to a base! As 4Ax, I'm a base short. Note these were the days when I actually shaded some figures and did a bit of black outlining.

I used these as my pre-oval shield peltasts. Can't remember why there are only 8 of them - some other units also bought in 8s so probably a specific army or army list thing. Shield patterns were something I often spent time on.

My original Cretan archer unit. Don't know why I gave them blue tunics, must have just wanted a change.

Later did a second unit in white tunics and gave them an officer and standard bearer. Don't know where the rest of the unit is.

These were originally two units of 10. Quick paint jobs, I didn't spend much time on them.

Another two units joined together - including another of the eight man units. The two different shield patterns go well together.

 
Another eight man unit from my original army. A lot of the other slingers I have are actually Balearic slingers rather than Greek - these are the 'correct' Rhodian (?) slinger figures. The green is Humbrol green leather.

 

The staff slings were a much later addition to the army - possibly the 90s?

 

7 comments:

  1. Now I'm getting nostalgic for my old minifig later peltasts with oval shield, spear and javelin. Good memories.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nostalgia is a good way to go for 2 reasons - age and focus!

      Delete
  2. Minifigs PB range - yes I have quite a few of those too - classic models and the paint jobs stand up well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They were good figures that took a lot of flack by the mid-late 70s - certainly in the North.

      Delete
    2. I think there was a bit of a north-south divide between Hinchliffe and Minifigs - I always preferred the slightly formal and neat Minifigs style - I have since grown to appreciate the more dramatic Hinchliffe models and especially the cavalry - both are interesting in their way and different again from the Garrison and Lamming ranges - all changed in the late 70's with the introduction of putty-modelled or soft-sculpted figures - Asgard for example - and Minifigs became deeply unfashionable. I remember seeing second hand armies advertised for sale with the rider 'no Minifigs'. Shame!

      Delete
    3. I always looked on the change as being 1976-7 when GW and Citadel merged - suddenly the divide between US skirmish games and UK mass games disappeared - suddenly everyone started making smaller armies but better painted, which meant more detailed figures needed, which means heads and hands got bigger, which means I stopped liking them as much...

      Delete
    4. Yes I think that would be right - Citadel was formed in 79 but Asgard was 76 and all the Asgard models were 'soft' sculpts - though the first ones were often wax or Plasticine rather than epoxy putties. I don't know if anyone makes models from solder these days!

      Delete