Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Monday 14 September 2020

Plataea moves 7 to 9

Things are starting to happen in the centre at least! Flanks not so much...

 The video shows the position during move 8 - main point of interest that big gap in the Greek centre that the Persians are pouring through! As I've mentioned before, in the actual battle the Persians in the centre of the line held back and didn't see any fighting - here, they are making it very difficult for the Greeks to stand a chance of winning.

Setup move 7. Short version: not much happened.

Theban cavalry are tying up one of the Corinthian battalions.

Thebans and Athenian dolphin battalion are just going back and forth.

While on the Greek right the Persian 1st Corps is holding up Pausanius.

However, in the centre.... the Orange battalion is looking a bit stressed...

Needed to take a morale test and managed 'Hold two moves'! Fair to say - if I was in their position I don't think I would be holding for two moves.

While the Grant Spartan battalion is barely holding it's own. I think it's only fair to say that on move 8 BOTH Spartan battalions rolled a 1 on their random factor. Actually, move 9 both the White Birds and Orange battalions also rolled 1. Orange also rolled a 1 in move 8! It has not been the luckiest of days for the Greeks. I'm considering going to the original WRG system of using average dice for regular units - it would stop this kind of result!

Position at the end of move 9. As it stands, the Persians are holding up the Greeks on the flanks but that massive hole in the Greek centre suggests that overall things are not going well for the Greeks. Individually the Persian battalions may be inferior but they have the advantage of quantity...

So at the end of Move 9 I think it's fair to say that the Persians have an advantage. If I work on a 12 period day, the next 3 moves will need to decide things.

4 comments:

  1. Those surrounded hoplites are probably afraid to break ranks

    All those 1's are an example of why I have come to like buckets of dice. Its still possible to throw a handful and still get all 1's and 2's but at least its rare and spectacular when it happens!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Considering how many 1s the Greeks rolled I think that,in total, meets the 'buckets of dice' criteria and 'being rare and spectacular when it happens'!

      Delete
  2. ps average dice are good for the disciplined types.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I went away from the idea of using average dice when I moved to DBA - think I might go back to them!

      Delete