Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Thursday 10 September 2020

The Spartans

 Already used the old 'This is Sparta' line...

Going back to 'The Ancient War Game' Grant used G7, the Spartan hoplite with pilos helmet, for his version of Plataea. It seems reasonable for me to see what I've got in that line and base/rebase any that need it.
My total based force of G7. From left to right, 'mine', 'Harry's' and 'Charles Grant' figures. 7 units of 24 = 168 figures.

'My' Spartans are all ones I cast myself. For wargames purposes these figures are the ones I would prefer to use in any 'normal' battle - though in fact I also have a preference to my other Spartans based on G3 for early, the GC5 converted cavalry figure for later. This figures are difficult to 'stack' behind each other or move into contact!

Ex-Harry's figures - two units that seem to have had different painters, one much better than the other.

Ex-Charles Grant - much the best painted figures. Still a few unbased - originally there were 88 of them.

This picture demonstrates an issue with the figures. Some have very think and robust spears, others they are so thin they snap easily. Of my ex-Harry figures, 24 out of 96 have snapped spears. Mine are preferred for use simply because I've mostly only used thicker spears plus a few of the 'better' thin ones.

Close up of some Charles Grant figures. Some paint loss but nicely painted. Note one of these has had a crest added to the helmet to make an officer figure.

3 comments:

  1. Lovely Rob and a really dramatic figure without looking exagerated.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. As you say, dramatic and certainly look good - just a couple of ways where they are not as practical.

      Delete