Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 20 September 2020

Successor cataphracts

I've started sorting the Successor cavalry - still working on them plus might be doing a bit of extra painting, basing and finding.

This lot come under the 'finding' heading. The various Minifigs Macedonians are all over the place - though frankly I should have 'found' these by now.

An ex-Harry unit, originally with very long Kontos that sort of bent like pretzels all over the place. I cut the Kontos down, hammered the ends and filed to a spear point and repainted the shafts flat earth rather than the original white. This is one one of the very few of Harry's units I feel I've improved. Technically, kontos is now a bit short but it's a lot more practical.

A figure comparison. In front, cataphract. Next, late PB model Minifigs with wire Kontos, cut down fronm It's original length. Finally, 'standard' early PB Macedonian cavalry - 'kontos' really a bit short, but they look a lot better than figures with the long version!

More later PB figures - these cataphracts I haven't cut down the kontos as it would be difficult to do it and leave it looking good.

The current batch of  heavy cavalry. Various PB figures from the 70's to the 90's.

And the current batch of cataphracts - the ones in the middle with full horse armour aren't technically Macedonian but I've never considered the differences between different super heavy cavalry figures to be worth worrying about - these can be used as anytning from Seleucid to Sassanid and Byzantine. There should be a couple more unpainted units somewhere to be used as either EHC or SHC.

So the heavy cavalry are looking better - thing is, if I do both sides of a Seleucd/Ptolemaic battle I 'might' need to sort out more. Might even use one or two of the javelin/shield armed units.

6 comments:

  1. Some old friends here!

    Of course its hard to see the early companions and not think of the "Purple Primer".

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seleucids and Achaemenid Persians were the first two armies I 'settled' on in the 70's - Alexandrian too easily beaten with all those medium pikes that counted 'shieldless, Greeks actually a bit boring... meanwhile, must get my copy out and have reread of it...

      Delete
  2. Some classic and very useful figures Rob...

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very useful - wish I'd kept my old Successor cataphracts... had the full 40 the rules allowed (including Agema)... they're quite hard to get hold of these days, think I'll probably never have the full complement again. (Several years of unemployment in the 80's really had an effect on my armies!)

      Delete