Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Tuesday 8 September 2020

Hinchliffe Persian Guard cavalry.

This lot date from the days when I used to paint eyes on figures. They were the premier unit in my Persian army for a number of years.

Individually based and, sadly, only eight of them.
I think it's one of my better painted units.

Again, wire spears not my favourites. The spear points and butt pomegranates were represented by a blob of paint .

Although I've mentioned the fact that I painted eyes on the figures, strangely I didn't paint them on the horses!




10 comments:

  1. mounted on the standard Hinchliffe heavy cavalry (used by both Persians and Byzantines) ...I have a few!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely figures and horses I had forgotten about.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I consider it to be one of the better Hinchliffe figures.

      Delete
  3. Because of your posts Rob I bought myself a few from Ian Hinds. They were a real pleasure to paint. Im not certain they are historically correct, but luckily Herodotus has been dead a few years now so cant complain.Now Ive seen these decked out in purple I can see me painting up a few more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They match Herodotus quite well - not sure about the helmet but it looks good so not worried about it!

      Delete
  4. They are rather nice...
    The horses bring back memories of my juvenile self attempting to solder reigns in place.... oh! The horror 😱

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tried soldering figures once... didn't repeat the experiment...

      Delete
  5. I've never understood my attraction to Hinchliffe but there it is nonethe less and theyformed the core of my Late Roman and Flodden Scots armies. (Heritage strictly speaking)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When they came out (1973? 1974?) I thought that ionly three things stopped them being the best: long arms, lousy metal and twisted-out-of-shape minimal bases on the cavalry.

      Delete