Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 18 August 2023

More cheap monsters

I suppose one of the advantages of being retired is that I can spend time just aimlessly searching for things. One such aimless search found these on Amazon.

This lot are 'SCS Direct Humans v Aliens Space Monster Action Figure Toy Playset' 90 figures for £20.39 - so a bit under 23p each!

Size check - human figures are 45-50mm in size so way bigger than I expected (before buying I saw a review saying 'figures definitely not 28mm, more like 32mm'!

Of course, I also brought out some of my original cheap Chinese plastic figures and found THEY were the same size as the Crooked Dice figures! Suddenly Daleks and Cybermen have a lot more to worry about!

It's a pity about the humans. They're really decent figures! They almost look like 3D Printed  - most with no sign of mould lines or misalignment. Also the quality and detail are excellent considering the fact that they are cheap toys!

For the monsters, the slightly larger size is an advantage. Haven't checked whether there are 90 figures in the box. Some of these are so Lovecraft/Cthulhu in looks that they could have been (might have have been!) designed with this in mind or inspiration! I mean - look at the one in the middle!

This one was described as SCS Direct Robot Fantasy Sci-fi Action Figures - 52 Ready for Futeristic Space Battle Toy Figures with 14 Unique Characters' Not bad for £16.24 - 31p each.

Like the humans and aliens box they come in two different colours.

What can I say? I don't know yet how well they'll take paint but the figures themselves are really good, especially when the price is taken into consideration.

 

11 comments:

  1. A scary collection of critters there! I look forward to seeing how they take paint!
    Alan Tradgardland

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So far it's not flaking. Having to think abot colour schemes!

      Delete
  2. Some really nice classic pulp sci-fi robots there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, and for the cost it's ridiculous. Some of the figures are actually multipart and have been assembled!

      Delete
  3. Excellent pick up. There are some really nice pieces out there. I just picked up a couple of toy space vehicles from a charity shop that may (or may not) become Martian flyers at some point in the future.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are, though a lot of them are a Medieval/D&D for my purposes.

      Delete
  4. The Lovecraftian aliens in this set are some of my favorite toys in my son's "army man" bin. I have read complaints that the figures don't take paint well, but I use figures from one of the same company's fantasy sets for gaming and have had no problems. Maybe it's their choice of primer (or lack thereof?) that is the cause of their complaints. Fwiw, I use Mod Podge or gesso to prime, and then seal again at the end with Mod Podge.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I made sure I really had a go cleaning them with a strong detergent solution, then washed with water and (as best I could) dried with a paper towel. Two coats of primer followed. Seems OK so far but I haven't tried any of the ones with very flexible parts that I don't expect to work well!

      Delete
  5. How can you be sure they haven't been programmed to come alive when "the signal" is broadcast?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good point. If I undercoat them in a lead based paint that should cut out the signal.

      Delete
  6. Splendidly mad…
    I am quite tempted myself.

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete