Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 4 January 2020

A Review of 2019

Having done quite a few Reviews of individual armies last year it seemed reasonable to do a Review of the year itself. Being a bit of a grasshopper personality as far as hobbies go it's no surprise that any Review would cover a wide range of topics.
Lots of nice Reviews last year including India, Rome, Cataplana and 'minor' Greek and Persian. I've chosen the Garrison early Persian Winter Review to represent these.

Lots of figures painted including a large Indian expansion. However, chose the completed tinplate Assyrian chariots...


... and a load of Greeks. Actually uploaded an earlier Greek regiment - should have uploaded the White Bird shields!

Let's see, games over the year involved Celts, Spanish, Kushites, Romans, Egyptians, Assyrians, Philistines, Greeks and Persians. As the first outing of those excellent terrain boards I'm showing part of the Spanish/Celtic game.

Did a few Newhaven scenarios, just not from the town (and very little from St. Norman's Hospital. So to represent the horror/pulp games I've gone for the 5 Hounds scenario...

These I enjoyed doing - hand carved balsa models. Having a photo including the 'Stinson' and the 'Boeing', seemed reasonable to use it. Not sure what modelling projects I'll do in 2020.


Of course, 42mm bought on EBay and painted these... then bought moulds for the figures and got round to casting my first few a short while ago.

And the last thing to mention from 2019 - Cadet Commander. Played at Partisan, score board and grid made, using 42mm figures.

And that is an abridged version of my wargaming in 2019. Quite a bit covered and, subject to health,  lots to build on in 2020.


12 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. So do I. My interests run in cycles as new or renewed projects take over for ones that run out of steam - I could never just stick to one period or army all of the time.

      Delete
  2. You have been busy! Always a pleasure to read what you've been up to with your wargames projects - I don't know how many models you've painted this year, but your efforts have certainly inspired me to revisit some neglected parts of my own collection - and start a few new ones ;) So thank you - and here's to 2020!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great to see the scratch-built planes again they add a real touch of style.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoyed doing them. There is always something satisfying about making things by hand.

      Delete
  4. Love the Assyrians and the Greeks Rob, well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I admit I was very wary about touching those chariots, but they turned out OK.

      Delete