Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Wednesday 15 January 2020

Napoleonic cavalry - what is it?

Usually I work it out. OK, Hussars/Chasseurs difficult, so many variations of busbies and shakos it's hard to tell which is which - but then, a hussar with shako from one country is pretty much interchangeable with a similar type from a different country... think I might post some of them later though to get a better idea of what they are officially supposed to be!

This figure is different. Checked out Funcken L'Uniforme et les Armes des Soldats du Premier Empire, checked out Cassin-Scott Uniforms of the Napoleonic Wars and Uniforms of Waterloo. It doesn't appear anywhere...
Hard to tell from the photos but the original has a very clearly defined front-and-back cuirass! With a shako!

Actually this photo no better. He also carries a slung carbine.
So, anyone... ideas please?

Gave it a wash of brown - some extra detail showed up like a row of buttons. If what I thought were straps on the right side are actually depicting a medal or something the is a pretty good match for figure 3 of page55 in vol 1 of Funcken - 13th Regiment of Chasseurs a Cheval, 1906! Thanks for your help everyone - I'm going to treat it as that but remove the 'medal. on ones I paint!

Further 'update' - did a British Light Dragoon search and found a Knotel print of a British Light Dragoon with long plume! 14th Light Dragoons. 1815!
https://www.pinterest.co.uk/pin/849210073457465015/

9 comments:

  1. He looks like a French Chasseur a Cheval - he appears to have lapels with buttons down the front of the torso and I can't see anything that looks like a cuirass. Without views from side and rear I can't say with more certainty - is the horse definitely intended by the manufacturer for this figure as the sheepskin/shabraque would also assist with identification. I have assumed he's not a British Lt Dragoon as there appears to be no sabretache.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was originally hoping he was a Chasseur a Cheval until I took a closer look at those things under his right shoulder - and they are cuirass fittings. Plus the outline of the cuirass is quite clear around the arms and less so around his middle. It's just not clear on the photo. Sadly, the horse is no help - they don't come as a pair, just a random horse I have. Horses I can (mostly) identify as they have a not-always-easy-to-read code on the base - the riders don't!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Can you post a photo of both sides and the back because I still cannot see the outline of a cuirass and he looks like the CaC bottom left in the picture at this link...
      https://i.pinimg.com/736x/48/6f/de/486fded14ee2e932c50111094474f881.jpg
      I'm tempted believe it may be poor sculpting or mould aging that creates the appearance of the cuirass.

      Delete
  3. Looking at the number of orders and such like on his chest could he not be a French general officer?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rank and file figure - he's carrying a slung carbine. He does have lacework on the front.

      Delete
  4. Gave it a wash of brown - some extra detail showed up like a row of buttons. If what I thought were straps on the right side are actually depicting a medal or something the is a pretty good match for figure 3 of page55 in vol 1 of Funcken - 13th Regiment of Chasseurs a Cheval, 1906! Thanks for your help everyone - I'm going to treat it as that but remove the 'medal. on ones I paint!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I can barely see some trace of something around where the armpit but nothing well defined like the buttons and lace on the front. I'd said plastron rather than cuirass.

    I think the "medal" is the end of the cap cords which should come down the neck and hmm can't remember but I think goes under the arm and gets fastened to the chest.

    Not quite like painting biblical desert tribesmen!

    ReplyDelete