Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 10 January 2020

Starting British Napoleonics

Finished the second gun and started on the first infantry battalion.
I've settled on a four man crew, putting the officer in one crew and the 'spare' man in the other.

Although going with the DBX element idea I've put the guns on 60mm bases rather than the 80mm bases artillery in DBX use.

I've also started the first infantry battalion. No officer or crew, so I'm using the artillery officer and have also 'converted' the artilleryman with ramrod by the simple expedient of removing the ramrod, drilling a hole in the hand, and adding a brass spear to act as a flagstaff. Still not sure how I'll set them up - 24 man battalion including officer/standard bearer, or 24 man battalion with an external command group for show only?


4 comments:

  1. 24-figure units with the integral command elements will give you more units than the 24+2 figure infantry units. For about 30 years my Napoleonic infantry were standardised upon 24+3 (the three being officer, flag and musician). I made the switch to 24-figure units all-up. Eight units became nine. I had to stretch out the command figures, of course, but that didn't really matter, even though one unit lacks a flag.

    Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thought, normally would do that but the lack of command figures would give me option of adding them later as I find, convert or buy alternatives (no British musicians for example.) Meanwhile, casting my own means that an extra 2 or 3 figures isn't a major cost factor, likewise painting a couple of extra figures doesn't add a lot to time.
    Possibly of more importance is base size - how many figures per base and what depth should the base be?

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are really bright and cheery, Rob!
    I can recommend four bases with six figures on each. This allows a variety of formations to be represented, and is also quick, simple, and easy on the figures in terms of handling. The size I'm using (30mm x 40mm) for each base is perhaps a little crowded for Garrisons, although it's still feasible. Perhaps 45mm x 35mm?
    Best regards
    WM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Everything I do is based on DBX - so frontage will be 60mm per base, depth either 20mm or 30mm, figures 4 or 3 to a base. For a 24 figure unit, 4 to a base and 30mm deep would give me the equivalent of a 2 x 2 frontage right round a square. 20mm deep and the side of the square would be 100mm whilst the frontage would be 120mm... but 20mm deep would probably look better for most formations. 3 to a base would probably look too spread out. I'll try them out before gluing figures down!.

      Delete