Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 18 January 2020

Now for some confirmed Chasseurs...

After the attempts to i.d. the British Light Dragoon I continued casting from other moulds and came across...

A figure with shako, no plume, double breasted jacket, no sabretache... it even had that ow of buttons on the trousers...

So, 100% confirmed Chasseur a Cheval!

So I slowed down and painted a squadron. I'm easily distracted - getting on with French cavalry like this (I've also started some lancers) means I've stopped work in the middle of painting a battalion of British Grenadiers. No problem, need the French anyway.
Technically, as light cavalry they should be mounted two to a base. However, I've put them three to a base as I think aggressive troops are more like cavalry, using heavy cavalry as knights.

They aren't meant to be any specific regiment - one advantage of solo work - but corresponds mostly to the 27th Regiment from Funcken page 57 volume 1.

Comparison with the quick paint figure - hopefully these are better!


9 comments:

  1. Lovely figures Rob but again they look like old Airfix figures which isnt a bad thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, though generally horse legs a bit more robust.

      Delete
  2. Now these are Chasseurs and very nice with it - I don't suppose there's an elite figure in colpack as that's my all time favourite Napoleonic uniform?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Doubt it but still got a couple of moulds to check. Having said that, 72 catalogue code is FNC7, 73 catalogue is FNC3, so could be two different figures. 73 catalogue is mix though - it has old 20mm and early 25mm figures.

      Delete
  3. Yes, "dashing" is the word that came to mind here too.

    Best Regards,

    Stokes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Much more interesting than the rather boring poses of the last 25mm range!

      Delete
  4. My own view on mounting light cavalry is that they should be the same as the heavies! That is how I do mine - all Napoleonic cavalry, except my cossacks, are mounted on 2cm frontage and 4cm depth per figure. As they are mounted on single or double-figure stands, if I need cavalry to skirmish I can always separate the bases.

    But everyone has a favoured system.
    .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Which, of course, is what I've done here, which is also one reason why I make a distinction between the way I use the rules and how DBX works according to the book - light cavalry are two to a base under DBX.

      Delete