Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Sunday 2 August 2020

Corps XXII Armenians and Phrygians

No Armenians and the Garrison Phrygians may not look like the Greek and Persian Wars versions but I've got the figures so...

Also, the Garrison/Funcken costumes look better.
Javelins and axes - what's not to like?

I think this is one of the nicer figures in the original range in terms of the costume.

These are 3Ax but I've got others based as 4Sp - useful as pre hoplite spearmen, possibly serving as Lydians or similar? For the Aeolian (Aetolian?)  Greeks of Corps IX I'm thinking of using the unarmoured Greek peltast G11 - got hundreds of the things... (as in... 110 from the  Grant collection, 70 from Harry's, plus ? I did myself!). Aetolians always appear as psiloi or peltasts in army lists and fought that way in battles, so I think using them as hoplites would be unlikely!

The axemen are ex-Harry, part of a unit of 40. After about 6 years I've just gotten round to rebase 18 of them...

Again, nice figures but the axes (bipennes) are a bit fragile and inclined to snap off easily. The colour scheme is from Funcken though not the axeman - it's from a sword and hoplon armed figure.

4 comments:

  1. I do like these figures and enjoyed painting the ones I did.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are fun figures to paint though these days painting bands around arms and legs is a lot harder.

      Delete
  2. The two handed axe men look a really powerful and purposeful unit. I like the pose very much and the effective way you have painted them., theirvleg gear being very striking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not guilty re the axe men - those figures were painted by Harry though in the past I have sometimes painted bands around arms and legs.

      Delete