Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Saturday 29 August 2020

Corps XXVI and XXVII

The Moeshi and Tibareni of Corps XXVI and Macrones and Mossynoeci of Corps XXVII are both described as wearing Median type garments. As for the figure,  I've used my violin shield version of PE4, same as for the Cabalees.
Slight variations on the paint schemes to differentiate them - one Corps has no red in the main costume colour, the other no blue.

Likewise, I gave one a fancy shield plus painted the cap as a bronze helmet.

This shows the three Corps with the plainly costumed Corps XXV, the Cabalees in woollen tunics rather than more colourful Median dress. I sometimes paint a belt on these figures but at other times leave it to represent the tunic falling over the belt - which is really what they should all look like.

I think that just leaves me with two infantry Corps to do - possibly by casting and painting more of these two conversions.

4 comments:

  1. This collection just keeps growing Rob...
    Will it all fit on the table ?....

    All the best. Aly

    ReplyDelete
  2. 30 infantry Corps with an average of, say, 20 figures each - some as low as 12, others up to 24 - would be 600 figures. 10 Marine Corps would be another 200 figures. Add about 100 cavalry total would be 800 infantry and 100 cavalry. Add to that a couple of chariots. My May Garrison Persian Review totalled 984 infantry, 314 cavalry, 18 camels and 14 chariots/war wagons; when I did Thermopylae then the Persian force included about 900 infantry and 150 cavalry. So in fact the entire Xerxes Army project would, when eventually set out, be the third biggest collection of Persians out at one time this year! And of course my biggest Persian Review, back in January 2015, included 1181 infantry, 370 cavalry, 5 elephants and 24 chariots.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like these figures!

    The whole army sounds like a hoard (sic) indeed.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The best part is when it's 'finished' and I get to lay everything out on the table. At which point I go on to the next 'project'. Hoard is probably about as acurate as it gets - dragons have a hoard of gold, I have a hoard of lead.

      Delete