Assyrian army

Assyrian army

Friday 7 August 2020

Charles Grant's elephants

Mostly a quick response to 'please tell me you have the elephants as well'

I've got 3 of them. I did post a couple of pictures of them about 6 years ago, here's those 2 pictures plus a few more...
One of the original pictures posted giving them a bit of context with the book.

As can be seen, one seems to be intact, one has a broken tusk, one has two broken tusks (pieces missing). To make these figures 'work' the ears were 'repositioned'. Looks a bit odd if you look closely - if you don't, it is strangely difficult to notice.

As they stand today. I've done no restoration work apart from regluing the broken tusk.

Crews on these are Garrison conversions, The elephants are Airfix Zoo set rather than Tarzan set - just checked on PSR  to confirm! Personally, I always used the Britains baby elephant. Being a strange kind of person, one of Britain's elephants was painted white, another one was painted pink. Perhaps a good thing that those particular ones are long gone.
I think they could do with a bit of a clean up though.



Never mind the tusks, I think the trunk is also looking a bit iffy!





10 comments:

  1. I do like elephant model and these are terrific.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I must have a soft spot fo elephants myself considering how many of the things I've got.

      Delete
  2. Great pics Rob.
    The Britains' baby elephants were perfect, especially with Airfix 1/72nd Romans. Have you seen how much 2nd hand ones are going for??!! The Tarzan set elephant would be ok with 10mm!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just looked it up. Think I'll post a few pictures of my own Bitain's elephants later.

      Delete
  3. These are the ultimate in Old School elephants.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How odd! I do not recall ever having bought a Zoo set but did have a Tarzan set which gave up its africans to wargaming but I don't recall ever seeing the standing elephant. The one I converted was the trumpeting one.

    I wonder if later Tarzan sets had the other one? Very strange.

    Anyway, good recreation of the classic photo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Plastic Soldier Review http://www.plasticsoldierreview.com/ManufacturerList.aspx?id=3 lists 2 zoo sets - there was only 1 when I bought mine so I think there were changes made later.

      Delete